Friday, September 14, 2012

Into the Woods Blog Post 2



Speaking of the opening song in the second act that reads, “ Wishes may bring problems such that you regret them. Better that though, than to never get them.” When thinking about the play and in life in general, I reflected upon the wishes or “wants” of the characters and how they achieved their wants and then reverted back to want things how they originally were. Sometimes in life we wish for things to happen and when they do not turn out exactly how we want them to, we fret and frown. Divorce after marriage is something that would fit into this category quite well but I want to discuss the death of a spouse that I feel also fits correctly. My father and mother were married for 35 years before my mother passed away due to lupus. This was not the fairy tale ending that my father had hoped for but it was not final doom either. Dad set a great example for us kids and the tone he led with was encouraging and helping throughout the process. He showed this through a song he asked a sister-in-law sing at my mother’s funeral. The song is “The Dance,” by Garth Brooks. Part of the chorus reads, Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain ,But I'd of had to miss the dance. I think this part of the play resounds strongly in our lives. It is sometimes painful to wish and want. Life Happens. We fail. We don’t always get what we want but we can always learn from our adventures and take something positive from them.  

0 comments: